We’ve compiled a list of tips to help you plan a home garden revamp this Spring! Our pro tips are sure to carry you through from the initial planning stages through to implementation and maintenance.
In terms of planning, two key points:
- Keep your design simple and don’t over-complicate it.
- Observe the sun at various times of the day to determine where the best site for a new patio or planting area would be in your garden.
Some garden features which look incredible and won’t require much work:
- Raised Flower Beds
- Using Paving Blocks to create borders
- Decorative Stone areas
Laying your patio can be a rewarding task, and following some simple steps in applying your paving flags, it is easily achievable. Here we have outlined the steps involved in laying paving flags to create the perfect patio garden area.
- Preparation – In achieving a high-level finish on the paved area – using natural clean, sharp, gritty sand to the base laid moist in a 30–50mm layer and screeded off to correct levels. A clean grit may also be used.
- Laying – Having a full flag started at a fixed point – laying the flags evenly with a spirit level and a pavior maul – regularly check the levels across several flags, making sure to allow for a gentle slope away from the house
- Jointing – sweep jointing sand into joints, Kilsaran Jointing Sand is perfect for this, or you can joint them using a reliable paving jointing mortar-like Kilsaran Permajoint, available in various colours.
- Sealing – Protect your investment; we highly recommend this for all Kilsaran paving products.
If laying paving is not in your skillset, you will need to find a contractor. Here are some critical points include in choosing the right one:
- Ask for some recent references for work undertaken. A reputable contractor will be delighted to show off recent work. Don’t be too embarrassed to make a phone call or call in-person to a previous customer – either way, you won’t regret it.
- Check if the contractor has the appropriate liability insurance.
- Ask for a written quotation before work commences, and make sure you go through it in detail.
Remember asking these questions will get you the right contractor to build that beautiful garden or patio.
Finally, how to keep that beautiful garden and patio maintained and fresh with these essential tips:
- Sealing and Protecting – Our enviro-friendly sealer, K-Seal, offers all-round protection
- General Dirt and Colour Masking – Regular brushing will remove most general dirt.
- Moss, Lichens and Algae Growth – Patio and paving cleaners (found in local DIY Stores and Garden Centres) may be used.
We hope you found this helpful and inspiring to get your home garden revamped!